Meir David Loewenstein מאיר-דוד לוונשטיין, also spelt Levenstein or Levinstein, 1904 – 15 August 1995) was an Israeli politician and one of the signatories of the Israeli declaration of independence.
Born in Copenhagen in Denmark in 1904, Loewenstein studied at a business school inSwitzerland and a rabbinical seminary in Amsterdam. During his youth he became involved in the European Agudat Israel youth movement, which he later became chair of.
After immigrating to Mandate Palestine in 1934, he remained active in Agudat Israel. As a prominent member of the organisation, Loewenstein became a member of Moetzet HaAm (later the Provisional State Council), and signed Israel’s declaration of independence in 1948. However, he later claimed:
- It ignored our sole right to Eretz Israel, which is based on the covenant of the Lord with Abraham, our father, and repeated promises in the Tanach. It ignored the aliya of the Ramban and the students of the Vilna Gaon and the Ba’al Shem Tov, and the [rights of] Jews who lived in the ‚Old Yishuv‚.
He was elected to the Knesset in the country’s first elections in 1949 as a member of the United Religious Front, an alliance of the four major religious parties. However, he lost his seat in the 1951 elections.
Loewenstein rejected the idea of a constitution for Israel, stating that:
- „if it contradicts the Torah of Israel, it is a revolt against the Almighty; if it is identical with the Torah, it is superfluous. A constitution will lead to an uncompromising fight… a Kulturkampf.“
In 1972 Loewenstein became chairman of the Committee for Spiritual Salvation. He died in 1995.
- Members of the Knesset
- Signatories of the Israeli Declaration of Independence
- Danish Jews
- Israeli people of Danish origin
- United Religious Front politicians
- 1995 deaths
- 1904 births
- Golda Mabovitch – Ґольда Мабович – גּוֹלְדָּה מֵאִיר – Golda Meyerson, born Golda Mabovich (einflussreicheleute.wordpress.com)
- Golda Meir – in her own words (andyboy1.com)
- You: Heads up Kobe Bryant! Research shows that trying for another 3-pointer is a mistake (labspaces.net)
- CANADA’S Jewish Defense League gets death threat from Muslim thug (barenakedislam.wordpress.com)
- Munich: Dirty Hands…Who? Where? (gameofroles.wordpress.com)
- Rumblings From Down Under About Home-grown Terrorism (desertpeace.wordpress.com)
- Heads up Kobe Bryant! Research shows that trying for another 3-pointer is a mistake (eurekalert.org)
- Research shows that future Israeli premier asked for U.S. bombing of Nazi deathcamps (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Reenactment of November 29 (israelnationalnews.com)
- Rabbi Yisrael Meir Lau causes controversy stating ‚Intermarriage plays into Nazis‘ hands‘ (roshpinaproject.com)