David Joel Horowitz was born to a Secular Jewish family in Forest Hills, New York City. His parents, Phil and Blanche Horowitz, were high school teachers. Phil taught English and Blanche taught stenography. Horowitz majored in English and received a BA from Columbia University in 1959 and a master’s degree in English literature at University of California, Berkeley.
Phil and Blanche Horowitz were long-standing members of the American Communist Party.
David Joel Horowitz (born January 10, 1939) is an American conservative writer and policy advocate. Horowitz was raised by parents who were both members of the American Communist Party. Between 1956 and 1975, Horowitz was an outspoken adherent of the New Left before rejecting Marxism completely. Horowitz has recounted his ideological journey in a series of retrospectives, culminating with his 1996 memoir Radical Son: A Generational Odyssey.
David Horowitz is a founder and current president of the David Horowitz Freedom Center, editsFrontPage Magazine, and also writes for Christopher Ruddy’s NewsMax. Horowitz has also founded the organization Students for Academic Freedom, whose stated goal is combatting leftist indoctrination in academia.
According to Horowitz,
“Underneath the ordinary surfaces of their lives, my parents and their friends thought of themselves as secret agents. The mission they had undertaken, and about which they could not speak freely except with each other, was not just an idea to them. It was more important to their sense of themselves than anything else they did. Nor were its tasks of a kind they could attend or ignore, depending on their moods. They were more like the obligations of a religious faith. Except that their faith was secular, and the millennium they awaited was being instituted, at that moment, in the very country that had become America’s enemy. It was this fact that made their ordinary lives precarious and their secrecy necessary. If they lived under a cloud of suspicion, it was the result of more than just their political passions. The dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima had created a terror in the minds of ordinary people. Newspapers reported on American spy rings working to steal atomic secrets for the Soviet state. When people read these stories, they inevitably thought of progressives like us. And so did we ourselves. Even if we never encountered a Soviet agent or engaged in a single illegal act, each of us knew that our commitment to socialism implied the obligation to commit treason, too.”
After the death of Joseph Stalin on March 5, 1953, Phil Horowitz commented on how the many titles which the dictator had held were divided among his successors. Phil Horowitz told his son, “You see what a genius Stalin was. It took five men to replace him.”
- 10 Election Things You Need To Know Today (huffingtonpost.com)
- Confirmed Speakers David Horowitz Restoration Weekend – Palm Beach, FL – Allen West (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- Why is anti-Israeli hate the new fad on campus? (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- AFL-CIO Hires Useful Idiots to Attend #OccupyPortland (thegabriellahoffman.com)
- “Occupy Wall Street” to young people: Shirk hard work and bemoan self-reliance (thegabriellahoffman.com)
- David Horowitz: Points in Time (pajamasmedia.com)
- Duss’s Wild…for Sharia (creepingsharia.wordpress.com)
- Renowned Middle East Scholars Bring Pro-Israel Message to UCSD (thegabriellahoffman.com)
- Mom’s Perspective: Reflections on the National PFLAG Convention (bilerico.com)
- Video: Ryan Gosling Talks Canada With Josh Horowitz (shoppingblog.com)
- Muslim haters distance themselves from Breivik (spittoonwatch.wordpress.com)
- Newt Gingrich and No Teleprompter (This is a keeper) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Viral Video: An Interview With Andreessen Horowitz’s Jeff Jordan (allthingsd.com)
- SFist Tonight, 11/21: Annie Leibovitz, Marc Horowitz, Public Speaking (sfist.com)
- VC Ben Horowitz Says Founders Make Best Startup CEOs (mashable.com)
- Longshoreman Riots: Who is Harry? (turnrite.wordpress.com)
- Ben Horowitz: “Facebook Is The Best Run Company In Technology” (techcrunch.com)
- Horowitz Blasts Housing Committee Law (israelnationalnews.com)
- Review: Inside of a Dog (thedoggerel.wordpress.com)
- Simply Fab: Fashion 411 Podcast With Barbra Horowitz (fabsugar.com)
- No L.A. park for former site of South Central Farm (latimesblogs.latimes.com)