Immanuel Goldstein –Emmanuel Goldstein
„A Video from our Theaterproduction „George Orwells 1984“ in March 2008 in the Theater in OP in Goettingen„
In George Orwell’s novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, the Two Minutes Hate is a daily period in which Party members of the society of Oceania must watch a film depicting the Party’s enemies (notably Emmanuel Goldstein and his followers) and express their hatred for them.
The film and its accompanying auditory and visual cues (which include a grinding noise that Orwell describes as „of some monstrous machine running without oil“) are a form of brainwashing to Party members, attempting to whip them into a frenzy of hatred and loathing forEmmanuel Goldstein and the current enemy superstate. Apparently, it is not uncommon for those caught up in the hate to physically assault the telescreen, as Julia does during the scene.
The film becomes more surreal as it progresses, with Goldstein’s face morphing into a sheep as enemy soldiers advance on the viewers, before one such soldier charges at the screen, submachine gun blazing. He morphs, finally, into the face of Big Brother at the end of the two minutes. At the end, the mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted viewers chant „BB“ over and over again, ritualistically.
Within the book, the purpose of the hate is said to satisfy the citizens‘ subdued feelings of angst and hatred from leading such a censored lifestyle.
In one such Two Minutes Hate, the audience is introduced to Inner Party member and key character O’Brien. Within the novel, hate week is an extrapolation of the two minute period into an annual week-long festival.
Orwell did not invent the term „two minutes hate“; it was already in use in the First World War. At that time, British writers satirised the German campaign of hatred against the English, and imagined a Prussian family sitting around the kitchen table having its „morning hate“.
The evening of this same inspection was one of the few occasions on which Pommier was bombarded. A sudden two minutes’ ‘hate’ of about 40 shells, 4.2 and 5.9, wounded three men and killed both the C.O.’s horses, ‘Silvertail’ and ‘Baby’—A record of the 1/5th Battalion the Leicestershire Regiment, T.F., during the War, 1914-1919
- daveeza: Orwell, 9/11, Emmanuel Goldstein and WikiLeaks – Glenn Greenwald – Salon.com (salon.com)
- Orwell, 9/11, Emmanuel Goldstein and WikiLeaks (salon.com)
- Dear Julien Assuage. (lesjohns.wordpress.com)
- Welcome to Orwell’s America (lewrockwell.com)
- Prophetic dystopian fiction (caritasestveritas.wordpress.com)
- George Orwell „1984″ (urbanintell.com)
- Obama’s Absolutely Unbelievable Press Conference (minx.cc)
- Dear Hacker: The Voice of Hackers Around the Globe (prweb.com)
- Smith, Shelton & Ragona Adds Indian Gaming Authority Andrea Lord Goldstein (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- Fit for 1984 (adamcollyer.wordpress.com)
- 7. Summarizing a Novel (parlindunganpardede.wordpress.com)
- What did George Orwell think about Russia (wiki.answers.com)
- What Occupations Can Learn From George Orwell (flapjacksnotstates.wordpress.com)
- A Well-Oiled Machine (rachelgoldlust.wordpress.com)