Central European University (CEU) is a graduate-level, English-language university offering degrees in the social sciences, humanities, law, public policy, business management,environmental science, and mathematics. The university is located in Budapest, and is accredited in the United States and in Hungary.
CEU has more than 1500 students from 100 countries and 300 faculty members from more than 30 countries. In 2010 the value of CEU’s endowment was $880 million, making the university one of the wealthiest in Europe.
CEU evolved from a series of lectures held in Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia, (now Croatia) before 1989. The University was founded in 1991 in response to the fall of the Socialist Bloc. The founding vision was to create a university dedicated to examining the contemporary challenges of „open societies“ and democratization. The initial aim was to create a Western-modeled yet distinctly Central European institution that would foster inter-regional cooperation and educate a new corps of regional leaders to help usher in democratic transitions across the region.
In its second decade, CEU broadened its focus from regional to global, with a special emphasis ondemocracy promotion and human rights around the world. CEU has since developed a distinct academic approach, combining regional studies with an international perspective, emphasizingcomparative and interdisciplinary research in order to generate new scholarship and policy initiatives, and to promote good governance and the rule of law. CEU has extended its outreach and financial aid programs to certain areas of the developing world.
On 14 October 2007 George Soros stepped down as Chairman of CEU Board. Leon Botstein(President of the Bard College, New York), who had previously served as the Vice-Chair of the Board, was elected as new Board Chairman for a two-year term. George Soros is a Life-CEU Trustee and serves as Honorary Chairman of the Board.
- Post-doc Political Behavior Research Group & Department of Political Science at the Central European University, Budapest, Hungary (polpsych.wordpress.com)
- Political Psychology Networking Conference for the Post-Communist Region (polpsych.wordpress.com)
- How to Explain the World Without Becoming a Bore (coordinationproblem.org)
- Top 10 European university alternatives for UK students (telegraph.co.uk)
- Rapids GK Ceus‘ belief pays off, comes up big in Honduras (mlssoccer.com)
- Learning From The Chosen one – O Céu Não Pode Esperar ! (luizcarv.wordpress.com)
- Céu | World music review (guardian.co.uk)
- Central European Distribution Passes This Key Test (fool.com)
- Why the Future Looks Bright for Central European Distribution (fool.com)
- Natas do Céu (Cream from Heaven) (vandav.wordpress.com)