Autism Society of America, cantor, Congregation B’nai Jeshurun of Lincoln, Debbie Friedman School of Sacred Music, Detroit, Gail Karp, Hebrew Union College, Iowa, Karp, Michigan, New York City, Reform Jewish synagogue Temple Emanuel in Davenport, Sigma Alpha Iota, Temple Beth El of Aptos, Temple Emanuel, Temple Emanuel of San Jose
Gail Ilene Posner Karp attended the Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion, Debbie Friedman School of Sacred Music in New York City (HUC-JIR), where Gail Ilene Posner Karp was invested as the fourth female Jewish Cantor in 1978, and subsequently received a master’s degree in voice performance and musicology from University of Nebraska in 1980. She became a member of the professional women’s music fraternity, Sigma Alpha Iota, while a student.
While in seminary, Gail Ilene Posner Karp served Temple Beth Torah on Long Island as their first cantor in the late 70’s. In the years that followed, she was affiliated with Temple Israel of Omaha and Congregation B’nai Jeshurun of Lincoln in Nebraska, Temple Beth El of Aptos and Temple Emanuel of San Jose.
In 1986, the Karps’ middle child, Joshua, was diagnosed with autism at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Division of Child Psychiatry. The diagnosis resulted in a second career that included local, state and national leadership roles with the Autism Societies of the Quad Cities, state of Iowa and nationally from the mid-80’s until the turn of the century. During this time, Gail Ilene Posner Karp was also appointed to the Iowa Governor’s Task Force on Autism, worked on the establishment of the Autism Tissue Program, and consulted with numerous other funded special projects of regional and national significance (SPRANS grant programs) that impacted the lives of persons with disabilities. Cantor Karp has served on the editorial boards of The Journal of Information and Referral Services, The Advocate (a quarterly publication of the Autism Society of America), and the Iowa COMPASS. In 2003, she received an honorary doctorate from the Hebrew Union College, citing her work on behalf of this special population. The Jewish value of tikkun olam (repairing the world) continues to serve as a theme in her life.
Henry Karp and Gail Posner Karp were the first Rabbi-Cantor clergy couple to become engaged and married during their seminary studies at HUC (1973–1978). Karp is married to Rabbi Henry Karp. They have three children, Shira, Joshua, and Helene.
Shortly after the initial diagnosis of her son, Gail Ilene Posner Karp expanded her efforts to include improving the quality of life for all persons with autism (and, as time progressed, persons who experience disabilities with both related and disparate diagnoses). The skills she developed as a Jewish cultural arts event initiator and organizational leader of volunteer organizations enabled her to transition seamlessly into the fundraising profession. Since 1995, Gail Ilene Posner Karp has been affiliated with the Association of Fundraising Professionals and earned her professional designation as a Certified Fundraising Professional (CFRE) in 2000. Additional certification includes a Grant Professional Credential (GPC).
Other professional memberships have included The Partnership for Philanthropic Planning (formerly the National Committee for Planned Giving, where she served as a local council past president) and the American Conference of Cantors (both as a past board member and as a member on numerous committees).
Publications and writings
- The Aleynu: A Missinai Melody as sung by the Jews of Blois, France, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, (1980)
- The Evolution of the Aleynu, 1171 to the present, Journal of Synagogue Music 12, no. 1 (1982): 3-23
- Muslim-Jewish Dialogue Activity Guide
- Devar Torah
- Freedom of religion discussed at Davenport forum
- St. Ambrose University Human Trafficking Workshop panelist
- Active in the Davenport Rotary Club
- Interfaith Education Forum on Human Trafficking
- [Video] Mike Posner Singing The National Anthem At Detroit Pistons Home Opener (mikeposnerhits.com)
- Boston Real Estate Mogul Karp Turns Snowbird Deal (forbes.com)
- “When I asked Karp about this and told him that I find ‘missing-e’ to be a useful product…” (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- I joined Jensen Karp on his podcast Get Up On This to spend… (putthison.com)
- Film about NW punk band KARP feels accurate (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- UBS ‘encouraged unauthorised trades’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- JCC Book Festival officially kicks off season with highly anticipated luncheon on Nov. 16 (tcpalm.com)
- Zynga names EA exec Karp to CMO post (fiercemobilecontent.com)
- Taking Care of Baby’s Sensitive Skin (children.webmd.com)
- Zynga confirms it hired EA’s Jeff Karp as marketing and sales chief (venturebeat.com)