Stern was first sent by the Anglican London Jews Society to Jerusalem, where he was ordained as a deacon on 14 July 1844 by the first Anglican Bishop of Jerusalem, Michael Solomon Alexander in St. James’s Chapel at Jerusalem, then traveling onwards to Bagdad. In 1849 during a visit to England he was ordained an Anglican priest in the Chapel Royal at Whitehall on 23 December 1849 by the bishop of London. Stern returned to Bagdad in the followng June, and stayed there for three more years before being transferred 1853-1859 to Istanbul.
The London Jews’ Society then directed Stern to travel to Ethiopia to preach to the Beta Israel Jews, arriving on March 10, 1860. On his return from Ethiopia he was founder of the Hebrew Christian Prayer Union of London, 1882, later included into Carl Schwartz‘ Hebrew Christian Alliance of Great Britain.
Following various slights by Lord John Russell of the British Foreign Office and others the king’s attitude to the British changed.
Stern was summoned to appear before the king at Gondar in October 1863 where Stern was beaten and imprisoned together with a Mr. Rosenthal, his LJS assistant.
By the time they were transferred to prison at Amba Magdala, in November 1864 they were joined by consul, Cameron, and other Europeans. Stern’s situation was made more difficult by the fact that the king was made aware of uncomplimentary material in Stern’s book – including having stated that the king’s mother was a vendor of kosso - in Wanderings among the Falashas in Abyssinia: together with a description of the Country and its various Inhabitants 1862.
All this led to the 1868 Expedition to Abyssinia.
- Dawnings of Light in the East: with Biblical, Historical, and Statistical Notices of Persons and Places in Persia, Coordistan, and Mesopotamia 1854
- Journal of a Missionary Journey into Arabia Felix 1858
- Wanderings among the Falashas in Abyssinia: together with a description of the Country and its various Inhabitants 1862
- The Captive Missionary: being an Account of the Country and People of Abyssinia – Embracing a narrative of King Theodore’s life, and his Treatment of Political and Religious Missions. 1868
- Do You Like to Eat with Your Hands? – Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant (aliciatasteslife.wordpress.com)
- The Art of Abyssinia (africaunchained.blogspot.com)
- Will the new CBA give David Stern less power to punish players? (probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- U.S. Government Partners with Private Ethiopian Banks to Increase Access to Credit in Agriculture and Health Sectors (foodsecuritysm.wordpress.com)
- Exclusive Video: Top U.S. Climate Negotiator Todd Stern Questions China’s Signal to Accept Binding Targets (thinkprogress.org)
- Twitter mocks David Stern (espn.go.com)
- Howard Stern Is Not Good At Photoshop (buzzfeed.com)
- Ethiopia (igaluxy.wordpress.com)
- Union man Andy Stern loves China (Chinese workers, not so much) (cbsnews.com)
- by ANDY STERN: Obama’s other Buddy (mb50.wordpress.com)
- NBA Lockout and Slave Economics (iamdustdaughter.wordpress.com)
- Video: Darren Rovell talks to David Stern on Sports Biz (probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Video: Beth Stern releases rehabilitated bird back into wild (examiner.com)
- NBA players reject Stern’s ultimatum, want more negotiations (probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Simon Cowell Talks Howard Stern and ‘America’s Got Talent’ (aoltv.com)
- NBA Rumors: Why Chris Paul Won’t Play for New York Knicks This Season (bleacherreport.com)
- Audit report: Why CEO Chris Stern was ousted from Oxygen Biotherapeutics (medcitynews.com)
- Howard Stern 2012 North Shore Animal League Calendars hit the streets! (photos) (examiner.com)
- Eddie Stern + Ganesh = much-watch TV (theconfluencecountdown.com)